Sunday, November 06, 2005

General public opinion of stuff and things

I get really annoyed with general public opinions. I will give the newest rant about it, as an example, and about one of my favorite topics, the iPod.

After I bought my iPod, a lot of people asked me why I bought the iPod for. I said that it's a really good device for listening music with and that it wasn't expensive (I got it 25% off price on a sale) and that it did everything I wanted it to do. So then they asked if it can show pictures and show movies, and asked if it was colourful and gave an example of the iriver as an example for a colourful interface music player that could show photos.

When, around half a year later, iPod Photo came out with the ability to show photos and with a graphical interface, do you think people said to themselves "Wow.. So now it's good to buy.." ? Obviously not. What they would go on to do is claim that "This is just a gimick and it's useless". So what was so exciting about the iriver, I ask?

Let me just refer you to the "Top Seller" list of Amazon, both in Computers and in Electronics Audio & Video, and you could notice how the people vote with their wallets which is the better product.

tags:[ ] [ ]

2 Comments:

At 11/06/2005 08:00:00 PM, Blogger Omer said...

I could replace every instance of the word iPod with iRiver and vice versa and it would still be the truth.
It's all about taste, and when it comes down to it, which has enough publicity. I think the iPod has great PR, but every product will have its nay-sayers.

I would have to say that I have an intention of buying some kind of player for sports (when I get to it), and I honestly can't tell which to pick from the plethora of choices I have.

It's all too confusing. :)

 
At 11/08/2005 10:43:00 PM, Blogger sven said...

It also comes down to what you want really. As a (former) mac user, I grew up with the iTunes paradigm, so I don't mind using iTunes on my windows pc, and the iPod is just the most userfriendly device there was at the time I bought mine. And I know all the competitors, I worked for five years at a store that sold mp3 players ;). I still chose the iPod, because mainly I wanted a good player that did what it had to in a good way, and not tried to have all the bells and whistles sacrificing user experience.

There's still a lot wrong with the iPods (I want a simple user replaceable battery like on the creative zens and longer battery life on the standard battery, the supplied earbuds suck, the nano needs a photo adapter thing and 8 GB of storage, they need remotes like sony has, and on and on), but the truth is, the iPod + iTunes is somethnig that my mom could figure out and use without hassle, whereas the sony players for instance, in good old tradition that dates back to sonys crappy software that's been included with minidiscs, have cool features and grat remotes, but have you used the software? I'd rather use an British mail postal box as a dildo up my arse than subject anyone to the vilenes that is sonys software...

And thanks for reminding me to get Amanda an iPod ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home