Friday, October 14, 2005

Fun is in the Air(Port)

I have recently purchased an AirPort Express to make my house wireless. I found it as a not-that-expensive solution that gives a lot for its price, but I am not here to talk about the AirPort itself.

Opening my house to wireless communication made a few changes, both in concept of connection and in the physical appearance of the house. See, since my cables modem had to be on one side of the house, I couldn't place the computer on the other side (It would require tedious job with wiring the house - I've done that sort of thing in my previous home and it's not pretty). Now that the house is wireless, both my PowerMac and iBook have internet access and they can connect to each other without being near one another, not to mention the tedious work of wires and hubs and the likes. I just hate wires.

But now for the "next project": I have a simpleton PC sitting at home. It's a Pentium 4 2GHz, which can't really compete with the macs so it won't even try to by suggesting to me that I should boot it up. I haven't done so in almost a year now, and I can't see a reason why I should. Or at least, couldn't until recently.

You see, it's a simple math thing: 1 Crap Computer + 1 Wireless card + 2 BFHDs (Something like BFG but for Hard drives), wrap it up with some simple operating system that requires nothing special (even Knopix would do) and you've got yourself a complete set of wireless storage device, just hook it up to a power cord and viola!

Now I only need to find the ingridients... The hard drive on the pentium at the moment is both 80GB And barely working. And if we want to talk about good, reliable PCI cards that do Wireless... Sigh... Not the ones that could be found on Zap, anyway.

Anyway, let's hope this thing works!

3 Comments:

At 10/14/2005 11:22:00 AM, Blogger Omer said...

Internet Server.

That's what my long term plan is. After I buy some other toys.

You could buy a cheap domain (check bleh) and have a site. :D

 
At 10/14/2005 12:39:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Not looking for a site right now. Could be fun to have a www.coffeerants.com though.

I am still contemplating on whether to buy that domain for 2.95$/year or not.

So you want an internet server? What does it mean, in hardware terms?

 
At 10/14/2005 05:31:00 PM, Blogger Omer said...

I was pretty much thinking about getting an old computer and trying unix/linux/freebsd on for size for a change. Of course it would have to be secondary to my home laptop since I usually like my computer working (with my skills in the *nix field, it won't start working until around 3 days after I begin). :)

As far as I understand, I don't have to have a great computer, so might be able to dig up some old piece-of-junk from my dad's workplace and hook it up to a lan card.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home