Monday, September 19, 2005

Back to England

It has been a while since I've been to England. 3 months and 14 days since I left last time, to be exact, but who's counting anyway?

What I would like to talk about though is the first coming-back-to-England culinar experience I had: England Homus.

Just trying to describe it brings back a memory of some light brown, scentless, watery and rather tasteless chic-pea salad.

I don't like English food. At first I couldn't understand how Britons could cope with such food and then my grandmother told me a story about the first time she came back to Romania after three years of being in The Land. She told me that when she saw all the people waiting in the bread queues, remembering how my grandfather used to wait in hem and her waiting in the ice queue (as there were no refrigirators), she couldn't believe she used to live like that. But when she lived there her whole life, it seemed like the most reasonable thing to do.

I guess it's the same with the English food. If they just all moved to France or Italy for a year.. Or better yet, to Israel! Have some proper Homus!

I don't think they'd make it though. No proper tea. And by proper tea I mean bitter, nightmare black tea, obviously.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home