Monday, October 31, 2005

First day at the University

Monday I went to the university for the first time.

It was... Different. I was late. I got lost in a maze of buildings. When I got to my building, I didn't know where my class was (I forgot my schedule in the office).

Okay, so it wasn't different as I was late - I'm always late - But it was different in concept. I had to sit with another 150 people in an auditorium. The professor spoke. People listened. Since most of the class were women, I could notice that everyone Wrote Something. I couldn't find anything to write. Especially since they said the presentations they used would be available online and they didn't say much around what was shown in the presentations.

I mentioned the majority of women: It's surprising to me because I never considered Biology to be a subject studied by mostly women. It's not like it's Literature. But there I was, with a lot of women in the class - And I know some of the people reading this would say "Damn this is Kitch" and "Smootchie Moochies" (You, OMER), but all I was thinking was "How I wished Joah was here, to sit next to me". I kept SMSing her, too - I think Orange made a nice profit on me today.

Now, a step back: I started studying Biology this Sunday. I only came to the first class Monday, and met some people (even though I was late). I didn't use the laptop yet - Not much to write, and the auditorium wasn't very comfortable for laptop-use anyway. I did see 4 people out of the 150 using a laptop though so I guess it's possible.

Today we had two classes, two hours each: Ecology, in which we had a preview about the course which would explain to us about what is Biodiversity, and the Kingdom Animalia introduction course, which would talk about several groups of animals and how they live, inside and out.

They seemed to be interesting courses. The Ecology course is video taped so I can watch it online later, and not show up to classes. The KA intro is not, but there is a video recording of the course from two years ago, given by the same guy, viewable online. He suggested we view that one, as well. Since I can't appear on both classes almost at all, I need to really rely on these videos.

I was surprised at the university's order in everything. Everything was online - Schedules, tests, videos, even the course's books are online and available as PDFs. An amazing system, really. At first impression, TAU doesn't seem as bad as I thought it is. I know it's much better than other universities my friends go to, like Bar Ilan, in theri services, and that's a good thing. I just can't compare it to places like the Technion, and since I can't even study there if I wanted to, it's not relevant.

I hope the rest of the year would go smoothly. This is the first week and it should be quiet - Only Monday and the rest is off. I'll need to watch course videos on Wednesday, though.

tags:[ ] [ ]

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home