Friday, June 10, 2005

Skype and Adverts

As I added the new adverts for Skype (You can click the adverts for this one, guys!), I wanted to let you know what I think of this.

Now, I usually don't like banners, adverts and the like. I added two advert systems here: One of Skype, whcih I just added, and one of Google AdSense. I'll go briefly about AdSense and then I will go in length about what I think about Skype and it's services.

Google AdSense is remarkable in the way that it gives your site adverts that are in direct link to the contents of your site. No need for fancy coding on your part, no need to create specific keywords, no need to do anything but paste a small portion of code into your site, which scans your content and deliver you with targeted adverts. Now, this is very important especially to bloggers, I presume: Blogs change their contents daily, and having adverts that are connected to the Current content without having to jerk around with the blog's template code is a relaxing feature, most of all.

Now about Skype. Skype had served me and Joanna for almost all the time we know each other. It has provided us a way to communicate by voice (as we live in different countries still, sadly), and when she wasn't near the computer (at work, with friends etc) it had provided me with a cheap option (Check out their call rates on SkypeOut!) for calling her cellular phone or land line.

Also, it is now starting a SkypeIn service, which is not yet working in Israel. Now, as a guy who has no phone at home, Skype has replaced the calling-out procedure at times: I just call from Skype, as it's the same cost as a local call to a land line phone here, and cheaper than most cellular companies on a cellular call. SkypeIn replaces the receiving-calls procedure: After purchasing a number at SkypeIn's service, your friends, colleagues, family and wrong numbers can call your number as if it was a land line, and be charged as if it was a land line as well. More so, you can purchase a SkypeIn in another country (say, the United Kingdom), and your friends (say, woman of your life) could call there for a local call's rate from any phone.

Another great feature they added recently is the VoiceMail, which means that even if you're not there to get to the phone, you will still be able to hear messages left to you. This service comes free with purchasing the SkypeIn service, or can be purchased separately.

Now, WHY would anyone with a land line want this sort of thing? I will give you the status in Israel, but I am sure it's the same everywhere else: If you have purchased only Internet Connection from your Supplier (Specifically Cables connection, so you don't need a land line to call, as it is with ADSL), that costs here (Infrastructure + ISP) around 120 NIS a month. SkypeIn costs 30 Euro a year, so that's approximately 14 NIS a month. That's cheaper than anything you would find in the land line rivals.

Besides, when you have SkypeIn, you can go abroad, and just login to Skype from your lap top there (provided you get internet connection there) - And your family and friends can still call you for local rates, and you to them!

I just love Skype as a service. So I had to put on adverts. To tell you the truth, I don't think I'll see any money from it - But I think it's worth my while to share Skype with anyone who doesn't know about it yet, and it's new services to those of you who haven't heard about Those yet.

8 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 01:11:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Really?

That's weird. Sounds like the company that made the sighing doors in the Hitchhiker's Guide - Share and Enjoy! Share and Enjoy!

However, I remember the conversation going much like this:

aVah: Joah!
Joanna: Ma?
aVah: How are you?
Joanna: Eich??
aVah: Baby, have you been out drinking wtih friends again?
Joanna: Ma La'asot.

 
At 6/10/2005 01:21:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Well, baby, I just wanted the world to see that you learned the most important phrases of the Hebrew language First.

 
At 6/10/2005 01:33:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

You did very good!

It's not perfect, but it requires only a few minor tweaks so it would sound less like an English translation and more like an original Hebrew sentence (TM). Aside from those tweaks, it was written with the right tenses and the right nouns, and made sense as a sentence.

Again, very good!!

 
At 6/10/2005 01:44:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Touche indeed.

You always had the upper hand on me. ;-)

 
At 6/10/2005 01:51:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Well, it's actually you.

 
At 6/10/2005 02:15:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

Trousers would be Michnasaim, Pants would be Tachtonim.

We would have a "Impreia shel tachtonim"? ;-)

 
At 6/10/2005 02:26:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

I thought it was original music with textures.

 
At 6/10/2005 02:33:00 PM, Blogger Avah said...

It could have been a great hit.. If only it had a rhythm... A texture...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home