Saturday, June 04, 2005

Worthwhile to know Japanese

The lady and myself went to eat out yesterday. Went to a nice Japanese place called Asakusa in Camden Town. Even though the place wasn't too expensive in itself (we've seen places which are Very expensive), we have reason to believe they had different prices if you knew Japanese.

To be more specific: We were handed down menus. We actually could, as a couple, afford a nice meal of 2 sets (around 10 sushi and a bunch of tempura) and 2 starter meal (cooked aubergine and tofu steak) and of course green tea. However, there was a group next to us, a group of Japanese people - They kept ordering, and they got sets of sushi for a family! Like.. 40 or 50 sushis on this huge dish. At some point they got a whole fish at their table, and that's not counting the other sets of dishes they already had on their table when we got there, including a huge pot of soup, which they just took whenever they wanted some and some other goodies which I cannot recall at the moment. Now, I know it's not polite to look at someone else's dish.. But they really did have a lot of food.

Back to the menus, though - Even though we were handed a set of menus, and even though the prices weren't really reaching for the skies, there was a different menu, and all sort of little "ads", sticked on all the walls, written strictly in Japanese. It's easy to believe that they were cheaper - Mostly because their prices on these pseudo menus didn't reach the prices we've seen on our menu. Next time I'm there, I'm going to speak Japanese. It's better economy.

One thing to say about the restaurant though - Even though it was Packed, and I mean Really packed, they let us in really quick and the food didn't take too long to be served, and it was really good food. Also, they were really nice about just placing kosher fish in it ("No clabs?").

2 Comments:

At 6/05/2005 08:19:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Afiad!
I want Japanese food!!!! I love Japanese food! I hope your'e coming to a trip with us next weekend. Can Joanna come on Shavuot? I hope so anyway...

 
At 6/06/2005 04:38:00 AM, Blogger Avah said...

I don't know of a trip next week... :-)

Does it involve Japanese food?

I hope so too, we're now talking about her next time here.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home